-
"If you want one year of prosperity, grow grain. If you want ten years of prosperity, grow trees. If you want one hundred years of prosperity, grow people." — Asian Proverb
Life often delivers its most profound lessons in the most unexpected circumstances. Years ago, I registered for a Lead Auditor course on Quality Management Systems (QMS). I had paid the fees and was looking forward to the training. However, on the starting day of the course, torrential rains struck the city of Chennai, causing severe waterlogging and widespread urban flooding.
Realizing the severity of the situation, I called my instructor to seek an excuse, assuming the class would be called off or that I would be exempted due to the travel conditions. His response, however, was unexpected. He encouraged me not to give up, advising me to board a local electric train to reach a nearby station, assuring me that arrangements would be made from there.
Trusting his guidance, I navigated through the flooded city, switching between two electric trains at Chennai Central before finally arriving at the designated station. The instructor instructed me to take an auto-rickshaw from there and get down near a road median to meet the transport he was arranging.
When I reached the spot, the water levels were high, and traffic was heavy with impatient drivers honking from all sides. In a rush to clear the road, I prepared to step out of the auto and move toward the median. To my complete surprise, driving toward me through the water in a Maruti 800 was the teacher himself.
Seeing an instructor personally come out in adverse weather to pick up a student was a powerful moment. I got into his car, and we made our way safely to the venue.
Shortly after arriving, my phone rang with a call from an unknown number. When I answered, it was the auto-rickshaw driver. He informed me that I had accidentally left my wallet in his vehicle during the hurry to get out, and he asked where he could deliver it.
I provided the hotel address where the course was taking place. A short while later, the driver navigated his auto-rickshaw through the floodwaters to hand over my purse intact.
Deeply moved by his honesty, I realized that in the chaos of the flooded city, he easily could have kept the money without anyone knowing. As a gesture of gratitude, I opened the wallet, handed it back to him, and told him to keep everything inside except for the exact amount I would need to travel back home.
The driver gently declined. Pointing toward his auto-rickshaw, he drew my attention to two names neatly written on the vehicle.
He explained that those were the names of two young children he drove to school every day. The children's parents had been so grateful for his service that they had helped him secure the funds to purchase his own auto-rickshaw.
> *"I have a strong emotional bond toward humanity,"* he said. *"It is my duty to return the goodwill I have received. Kindly take your purse."*
>
In the end, I insisted on giving him a meaningful reward for his integrity before sending him on his way with heartfelt gratitude.
## Key Reflections
This single day during the Chennai floods offered two enduring lessons that extend far beyond textbook management principles:
### 1. The Humility and Concern of a True Leader
A true teacher or leader does not merely impart theory; they lead by example. By personally driving out into the floodwaters to pick up a stranded student, the instructor demonstrated genuine care, practical problem-solving, and hands-on leadership.
### 2. The Power of Integrity and a Virtuous Cycle
The auto driver’s decision to return the wallet was driven by a deep sense of gratitude for the kindness he had previously received from others. His action demonstrates how individual acts of goodwill create ripple effects across society—proving that when people act with integrity, it strengthens the collective trust of the entire community.
It's not necessary that you will be helped by the ones whom you helped. Let us all keep doing good deeds for God's sake and see the transformation that follows in the society.
"When the roots are deep, there is no reason to fear the wind."
— African Proverb
Source: A real story shared by a senior resource person in India.